What is the main difference between Islam and Christianity? The former originated from the Arabian Peninsula (Mecca at Mount Hira), while the latter from the Roman Province of Judea. The followers of Islam are Muslims and those of Christianity are Christians.
Islam and Christianity are the largest religion in the world. They are Abrahamic religion with Jesus Christ as an important figure. These two religions share many similarities and differences based on numerous terms.
There is no religion that superior over the other. But there is a hot debate when it comes to Christianity and Islam topic across the world. We wrote this comprehensive article to help you understand the differences and similarities of these religions.
Difference Between Islam and Christianity With Table
|Place of Origin||Arabian Peninsula, Mecca at Mount Hira.||Roman province of Judea.|
|View of Holy Book||Quran||Old and New Testament Bible|
|View of God||One God||Trinity: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit|
|View of Jesus||A mere prophet and miracle-worker||Jesus is God|
|View of Sin||Sin exists because of human weakness and forgetfulness||Every human is born with original sin|
|Place of Worship||Mosque/masjid||Church, chapel, cathedral, basilica, home bible study, personal dwellings.|
|Clergy||Imam leads congregational prayer in a mosque. Sheikh, Maulana, Mullah and Mufti||Priests, bishops, ministers, monks, and nuns.|
|Human Nature||Humans are born pure and innocent.||Man has inherited “original sin” from Adam.|
|Original Language of Holy Books||Arabic||Aramaic, Greek, and Latin.|
What Is Islam?
Islam is the second largest religion in the world. The religion is common in Asia-Oceania, Middle-East, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, America, and Europe.
Muslims are the followers of Islam and they worship in Mosque. They believe in One God (Allah) and Muhammad is His messenger (shahadah).
Muslims pray five times a day and fast during Ramadhan. Islam religion means peace, purity, submission, and obedience. Holy Quran guidance helps fulfill gifts and responsibility in life.
Sharia laws govern prayers, business transaction, individual rights, and government. Shura is highly utilized for practical solutions to contemporary issues.
What Is Christianity?
Christianity is the largest religion in the world with numerous denominations. The religion focusses on the teachings, life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Protestant churches are the largest groups. Christians view New Testament and Old Testament Bible as the Holy Books.
They also believe in Holy Trinity which comprises of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The church, chapel, cathedral, and personal dwellings are the place of worship.
Main Difference Between Islam and Christianity
- Place of worship for Islam is Mosque and for Christianity is Church or chapel.
- Christianity believe in Holy Trinity and Islam do not believe in such.
- Jesus Christ is the founder of Christianity while Prophet Muhammad is for Islam.
- Christianity was started in the Roman Province of Judea while Islam in Arabian Peninsula, Mecca near Mount Hira.
- Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches use statues and images, while mosques do not allow images and statues.
Similarities Between Islam and Christianity
- Both believe in one God
- Both believe religion brings harmony and peace
- Both believe Satan is real and can draw people away from God.
- Both believe the body to be sacred and should be treated with respect.
- Both faiths believe Jesus will return from Heaven.
Final Thoughts from Experts
The main difference between Islam and Christianity is based on the view of Holy Books, God, Jesus and Sin. The four factors play a crucial role when differentiating these two prominent faiths.
Both Christianity and Islam are monotheistic Abrahamic religions. The Christians and Muslims believe in one God. Practicing these faiths bring peace and harmony among their followers.
People Who Read This Also Read:
- Difference between Anglican and Catholic
- Difference Between Lutheran and Catholic
- Difference Between Apostle and Disciple.
- Difference Between Buddhism and Hinduism.