What is the main difference between Buddhism and Christianity? The former is where the Buddhist worship the teachings and learn from the life of Buddha, while latter is where the Christians follow the teachings, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The relationship between Humans and religion is ancient. Practicing religion among humans help to bring peace and harmony. Buddhism and Christianity have widespread followers in most of the world since many people desire for enlightenment.
Understanding the similarities of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Christianity can be challenging for some people. We wrote this blog post to help you telling the difference between Christianity and Buddhism with ease.
Difference Between Buddhism and Christianity With Table
|Place of Worship
|Church or Cathedrals
|Use of Statues and Images
|Used as meditation objects
|Catholic and Orthodox
|Meditation, eightfold path, right view, aspiration and action
|Prayer, sacrament, bible study, and worship in church or personal dwellings.
|Priests, pope, monk, bishops, pastors, and nuns
|Fourth religion in the world
|First religion in the world
|Through Christ’s passion, death, and resurrection.
|Scriptures Original Language
|Greek, Aramaic, and Latin
What Is Buddhism?
Buddhism is the fourth largest religion in the world. Buddhists are the followers of this religion and they believe reaching enlightenment is the only means of salvation.
Tripitaka is the Holy Scriptures written in Pali language. Buddha is the founder of Buddhism and Buddha sangha is the clergy of the temple or monasteries.
Buddhists practice meditation, eightfold path, right view, right aspiration and right action. They use meditation objects to help them attain enlightenment.
What Is Christianity?
Christianity is the first largest religion in the world. Christians follow the teachings, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The faith started in the Roman Province of Judea.
Christians worship in Churches, cathedrals, and personal dwellings. The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is seen as the only means of salvation.
The original language of the Holy Bible is Greek, Latin, and Aramaic. Reading bible, prayers, and sacrament are the most popular Christian practices.
Subscribe o My Channel
Main Difference Between Buddhism and Christianity
- Buddhists are the followers of Buddhism and Christians are the follower of Christianity.
- Buddhists worship in temples or monasteries while Christians in churches or cathedrals.
- Buddha is the founder of Buddhism and Jesus Christ is for the Christians
- Sin does not exist Buddhism concepts while it does in Christianity
- Main aim of Buddhism is to eliminate mental suffering and Christianity is to worship God
Similarities Between Buddhism and Christianity
- Both have holy scriptures
- Both have places of worship
- Both teach followers through parables
- Both share values and morals
- Both encourage charity towards the needy
Final Thoughts from Experts
The main difference between Buddhism and Christianity is that the former emphasizes more on meditation and mindfulness while the latter stresses more on prayers. Understanding these concepts will help eliminate mental suffering and attain purity.
Buddhists do not talk about God who is the creator. But the concept of God looms a lot in Christianity. Remember that there is no religion superior over the other. Take your time to understand each faith before making any decision.
People Who Read This Also Read:
- Difference Between Buddhism and Hinduism
- Difference Between Baptism and Methodist
- Difference Between Anglican and Catholic
- Difference Between Lutheran and Catholic