You might be someone planning a holiday trip with your family. But choosing the perfect board package could be a daunting experience especially if you’re going for the first time in your life.
So, what is the difference between full board and half board? The former offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner. On the other hand, the latter consists of breakfast and either lunch or dinner.
Both hotels and resorts use these phrases to describe their accommodation and meals to their potential customers. We recommend having a detailed insight into these phrases to make an informed decision.
Knowing the difference between a half board and a full board may sound simple, but you need to know a thing or two. We wrote this article to provide a detailed insight into these hotel terminologies.
Differences between Full Board and Half Board with Table
|Terms||Full Board||Half Board|
|Meaning||It is a meal arrangement that offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner.||It is a meal arrangement that offers breakfast and either lunch or dinner.|
|Number of Meals||Three meals package e.g lunch, dinner, and breakfast.||Two meals package e.g breakfast and either lunch or dinner.|
|Suits||Guests who prefer to stay in the hotel all day.||Guests who prefer to visit local attractions and return in the evening.|
|Costs||More expensive||Quite affordable|
|Comfort||Quite comfortable since all meals are available within the hotel.||The guest has to search for lunch or dinner somewhere before returning to the hotel.|
What Is Full Board?
A full board package is a three-meal arrangement consisting of dinner, lunch, and dinner. But the guest will have to pay for drinks and snacks outside these meals.
The package is ideal for those individuals who love spending the whole day in the hotel or resort. It is also suitable for those who want to experience the surrounding nightlife after dinner.
Most secluded resorts and upscale or midscale beach hotels do offer full-board packages. The package has some similarities with all-inclusive service though drinks and snacks mark the differences.
What Is Half Board?
The half board package is a two-meal plan that comprises breakfast and either lunch or dinner. The decision between lunch and dinner depends on the guest’s preference or hotel policy.
But many hotels or resorts offer breakfast and dinner. These meals are served as buffets or take-out for guests going on long outings. Guests will have to pay extra amounts for drinks and snacks.
We recommend a half-board package for those guests who go out and return in the evening. It is also ideal for those without large appetites and only takes two meals per day.
Main Differences between Full Board and Half Board
- The full board offers three meals, while the half board offers two meal plans.
- The full board provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner, whereas the half board offers breakfast and either lunch or dinner.
- Full board package is more expensive than the half board due to the meal plans.
- The full board package is suitable for those guests who stay in the hotel all day, while the half board is ideal for those who love visiting local attractions.
- The full board package ensures the guest enjoys maximum comfort by providing everything, while the half board package forces the guest to look for dinner or lunch.
My Final Thoughts
If you’re planning for a holiday trip, we recommend knowing the difference between full board and half board. We hope the information will help you make an informed decision before making a booking.
The main difference between full board and half board is the meal plans. The former offers three types of meals, while the latter offers two meals arrangement. Feel free to share your experience with us in the comment section.
People Who Read This Also Read:
- Difference between 2-Star and 3-Star Hotels
- Difference between First Class and Business Class
- Difference between Visa and Passport
- Difference between Expressway and Freeway
- Difference between Tour Operator and Travel Agent.
- Difference between 3-Star and 4 Star Hotel