What is the difference between Nigiri and Sashimi?
Firstly, Japanese cuisine is becoming popular in recent days. Most of these Japanese dishes are quite healthy in nature.
The core difference between Nigiri and Sashimi is that Nigiri is a type of sushi where thinly sliced raw fish is pressed over vinegar rice whereas sashimi is a Japanese dish where a thin slice of raw meat or sauce served with soy sauce or pickled.
Comparison Table between Nigiri and Sashimi
|It is a type of sushi made of vinegared rice and fresh raw fish slice
|It is a raw seafood cut into small pieces
|Is It Cooked or Raw?
|Usually raw but fish in the nigiri tend to be cooked
|Meat Obtained from
|Fish and other seafood like squids or shrimps
|Sliced fish, chicken, and beef from horse or frog
|Garnished with sauce on request
|Normally garnished with shisho leaves, toasted nori and daikon radish
|Type of Sushi
|Can be eaten by chopsticks or using the hands
|Eaten with help of chopsticks
|Slices of fish are pressed over the vinegar rice
|No use of rice
|Soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger
What Is Nigiri?
It is a special type of sushi rice treated with vinegar. It is also known as nigirizushi. It is where a raw thin-sliced fish is pressed over vinegar rice.
This is the most popular Japanese cuisine. The most common toppings of nigiri are tuna, salmon, yellowtail, cooked jumbo shrimp, egg omelet, and freshwater eel.
Nigiri is the easiest type of sushi to prepare for beginners. They have a unique tasting and very palatable.
What Is Sashimi?
Sashimi is raw meat mostly from seafood and partly from beef chopped into smaller pieces. The Japanese dish is served without rice.
Sashimi is always raw and it is mostly garnished with daikon radish, shiso leaves, toasted nori, and soy sauce.
The traditional Japanese dish is eaten by the use of chopstick and it is highly rich in nutrients good for the human body.
Main Difference between Nigiri and Sashimi In Point Form
- Nigiri is a type of sushi made of thin slices of raw fish pressed over vinegar rice whereas sashimi is a thinly sliced raw meat.
- Nigiri is not always raw whereas sashimi is always raw
- Nigiri is a Japanese cuisine which is a type of sushi while sashimi is not a type of sushi
- Nigiri is mostly fish and other seafood whereas sashimi is a thin slice of meat like beef, horse, and frog
- Nigiri can be eaten by hands or with chopsticks while sashimi is eaten with chopsticks
- Nigiri is served with vinegar rice whereas sashimi is served without rice
- Nigiri is garnished with sauce on request while sashimi is garnished with shisho leaves, toasted nori, and daikon radish
Similarities between Nigiri and Sashimi
- Both are Japanese cuisines
- Both are eaten with chopsticks
- Both contain raw fish
- Both are healthy for the human body
Frequently Asked Questions on Nigiri and Sashimi
- Is Sushi the Same as Nigiri?
Yes. Nigiri is a combination of sushi and sashimi. It comprises of raw sliced fish served with pressed vinegar rice.
- Can I Lose Weight Eating Sushi?
It is a weight loss-friendly meal due to low fat and protein content. The absence of fiber content makes it not effective at reducing hunger and appetite.
- Is Sashimi Good For Weight Loss?
Not Really. The fish content used to prepare sashimi has a high content of calories. It is also advisable to skip rice when looking to cut weight.
- Why Does Sushi Make Me Poop?
This is quite normal. Sushi serving restaurant is normally sub tuna with escolar. The fish has a high content of wax esters which has a laxative effect when eaten. This is the reason behind running to the bathroom after eating sushi.
- Can I Eat Sushi Every Day?
No. You are likely to be in danger of mercury poisoning. Most fishes used in the preparation of sushi contain lots of mercury.
You May Also Like:
Nigiri and sashimi are special traditional Japanese cuisines that are quite healthy for your body. The main difference between nigiri and sashimi is the presentation as well as the flavor.
More Sources and References