What is the difference between tenderloin and filet mignon?
Both tenderloin and filet mignon are meat cuts from a cow. These meat steaks usually confuse steak-lovers due to their close similarities. Let’s find out that together.
The main difference between tenderloin and filet mignon is that the former is a beef steak cut with long, narrow, and lean muscles while the latter is a beef cut short and tender meat steak from a cow carcass.
You May Also Like: Difference between Ribeye Steak and Delmonico Steak
Comparison Table (Tenderloin vs Filet Mignon)
|Basic Terms||Tenderloin||Filet Mignon|
|Part of Cut||It is a beef cut with lean muscles only||It is a beef cut without bones and lacks great flavors|
|Type of Meat Cut||Whole muscle cut||Tapering muscles of tenderloin|
|Cooking and Serving||Can either be cooked as one piece or cut into smaller pieces||Wrapped into bacon to add flavors and put fat at the edges|
|Choice||Ideal for tenderloin steak-lovers. Can be enjoyed by a group of people||An individual can enjoy chunks of filet mignon|
What Is a Tenderloin?
Tenderloin is a beef cut found between sirloin and the top loin. The muscle is tender since the region experiences minimal exercise and weight-bearing of the animal.
Untrimmed tenderloin has a huge amount of fat layer and silver skin coating. It would be best to remove the fat and silver skin before cooking.
The meat steak is ideal for barbecue due to the low amount of fat layer and it causes a minimal flare-up of the fire. It is also among the most expensive meat steaks in high-end restaurants.
Everything You Need to Know about Tenderloin Beef Cut
- Located between sirloin and top of the loin
- Can be cooked as a whole cut or cut into mandilions
- Lack of great flavors but it is tender and juicer
- Trimmed tenderloin has low fat making it ideal for grilling
- It is an expensive meat cut
What Is a Filet Mignon?
Filet mignon is a beef cut which is the end portion of the tenderloin. It is also considered as part of the tenderloin muscle.
The meat steak needs to be cut into pieces before cooking. It can either be grilled or fried quickly before it starts drying. It lacks great flavors and it would be best to serve with a sauce or dressing.
The term filet mignon is derived from French and it is used to describe pork tenderloin. Cooking the meat cut is easy and quick.
Everything You Need to Know about Filet Mignon
- A healthy choice for people due to lean muscles
- It is the end portion of the tenderloin steak
- Filet mignon is super easy to grill and fried
- Meat steak is tender and dries out faster after frying
- It is an expensive meat cut in high-end restaurants
- Need to be served with sauces or dressings to add extra flavors
Main Differences between Filet Mignon and Tenderloin
- Filet mignon beef cut of the end portion of tenderloin muscle whereas tenderloin is situated between sirloin and top of the loin
- Tenderloin is ideal for grilling while filet mignon can either be grilled or fried
- Tenderloin does not need to be served with anything while filet mignon needs to be served with sauce
- Tenderloin can be enjoyed by a group of people whereas filet mignon by a single person
- Tenderloin is a long and narrow lean muscle whereas filet mignon is a short and thick lean muscle
Similarities between Tenderloin and Filet Mignon
- Both are expensive meat steaks
- Both can be grilled
- Both lack great flavors
- Both occur between sirloin and top of the loin
- Both have a tender and juicer meat steaks
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is Better Tenderloin or Filet Mignon?
Both are better meat cut choices. The meat muscles experience minimal movement and this makes the beef tender. Both need to be served with sauce or dressing to add extra flavors.
What is so Special about Filet Mignon?
The meat cut lacks connective tissues and it is relatively tender when compared to other beef cuts from a heifer carcass. These features make the meat steak expensive in high-end restaurants.
Is Tenderloin Better than Ribeye?
Yes. It has a low amount of fat content and experiences little marbling effect. The meat cut is extraordinarily tender and suitable for grilling.
Is Filet Mignon Overrated?
Absolutely. The meat cut is super tender and needs marbling to improve the taste and flavors. It implies that the beef cut lacks great flavors.
Which is Healthier Filet Mignon or Sirloin?
Filet mignon is healthier. The meat cut has little amount of fat when compared to sirloin. It reduces the chances of cholesterol buildup in the body.
Filet mignon is the end portion of tenderloin and it is also known as tenderloin. This is an issue that results in confusion among steak-lovers.
Both tenderloin and filet mignon are expensive beef cuts in high-end restaurants. The most exciting thing is that lean muscle is tender and contains a small amount of fat content.
But you will need sauce or dressings to help improve the taste and flavors. Both filet mignon and tenderloin can be grilled.
More Sources and References