Ratio and statistics are common terms used in mathematics and statistics. These terms may sound the same but they are quite different.
The lesson provides a detailed insight into the difference between ratio and proportion in a tabular form for easier understanding.
Definition of Ratio
The ratio refers to a comparison of two different categories that are quantifiable. An example is the ratio of men to women in a city.
The first term of a ratio is known as antecedent while the second term is known as consequent. Example in numerical is 3:4, 5:9
Characteristics of Ratios
- Both antecedent and consequent can be multiplied by the same number except zero
- The order of terms is quite vital
- Occurs between quantities of the same kind
- Units of comparison are the same
- Comparison can be done if they are in equivalent like the fraction
Definition of Proportion
Proportion refers to the concept of mathematics which states the equality of two ratios or fractions. It normally refers to some categories over the total.
The proportion can either be indirectly or directly proportional. When the set of ratios increases or decreases in the same way then it is directly proportional.
Properties of Proportion
- Invertendo – If p : q = r : s, then q : p = s : r
- Alternendo – If p : q = r : s, then p : r = q : s
- Componendo – If p : q = r : s, then p + q : q = r + s : s
- Dividendo – If p : q = r : s, then p – q : q = r – s : s
- Componendo and dividendo – If p : q = r : s, then p + q : p – q = r + s : r – s
- Addendo – If p : q = r : s, then p + r : q + s
- Subtrahendo – If p : q = r : s, then p – r : q – s
Comparison Chart: Ratio Vs Proportion
|Meaning||Refers to a comparison of two values in the same unit||Refers to a set of ratios that are equal|
|Represent||Show the relationship between two orders qualitatively||Show the relationship between an order and the total quantitatively|
|What is it||Expression||Equation|
|Nature||A certain number of parts||Same values of increase and decrease|
|Main Keyword||To every||Out of|
- The ratio shows the comparison of two values in the same unit whereas proportion refers to a set of ratios that are equal
- The ratio represents the relationship between two orders qualitatively while proportion shows the relationship between an order and the total quantitatively
- The ratio is an expression whereas proportion is an equation
- The nature of ratio is a certain number of parts while proportion show the same values of increase or decrease
- The symbol of the ratio is single colon whereas proportion is double-colon
- The main keyword of a ratio is to every while that of proportion is out of
The key difference between ratio and proportion is that ratio show a qualitative relationship between two orders whereas proportion show the quantitative relationship between an order and a total