What is the difference between monkey and ape?
Primates are part of the human family tree. Monkeys and apes are primates since they share common characteristics. However, there is a slight difference between monkeys and apes.
The core difference between monkeys and apes is that monkeys have tails while apes do not have tails. The key areas to consider is the size of the brain, mental capabilities, and the lifespan.
What is a Monkey?
Monkeys are small primates with long tail and they live in trees of tropical forest. Monkeys are grouped as old world monkeys and new world monkeys.
Old-world monkey belongs to the superfamily Cercopithecoidea, and new-world monkey belongs to the superfamily Platyrrhini.
What is an Ape?
Ape refers to large primates that do not have a tail. All apes belong to the superfamily Catarrhini. They are grouped as great apes and lesser apes.
The great apes belong to the family Hominidae while lesser apes belong to the family Hylobatidae.
Comparison Chart: Monkey vs Ape
|Meaning||Small primates with long tails||Large primates without tails|
|Parvorder||Both monkeys belong to Platyrrhini and Catarrhini||Catarrhini|
|Number of Species||Around 260 known species||Around 23 known species|
|Habitat||Mostly found in Asia, Africa, Central, and South America.||Mostly found in Africa and South Asia.|
|Lifespan||30 years||60 years|
|Brain Size||Small brains||Large brains|
|Body Size||Small body with a quadrupedal position.||Large body with upright posture|
|Chest||Narrow chest||Wider chest|
|Limbs||Have equal heights||Upper limbs are longer than lower limbs|
|Shoulders||Small and narrow shoulders||Have strong and flexible shoulders|
|Straightening of Arms||Do not straighten at the elbow||Fully straightened at the elbow|
|Tail||New world monkey has long tail while the old world monkey has a short tail||Lack of tail|
|Moving in Trees||Run along with the trees by jumping and tail help to bring balance||Swing from branch to branch|
|Diet||Feed on fruits, plants, and insects||Feed on fruits, plants, and small vertebrates|
|Usage of Tools||No tools||Uses hunting, nut-cracking, and for play tools|
|Evolutionary Scale||Lower level||Closer to humans|
|Examples||Old-world monkey and new-world monkey||Great apes and lesser apes|
Core Difference Between Monkey and Ape
- Examples of monkeys are old world and the new world while apes are great and lesser apes
- Monkey have a lower level of evolutionary scale while apes have evolutionary scale closer to those of humans
- Apes uses tools for hunting, nut cracking, and play while monkeys do not have tools
- Intellectual capabilities of apes are higher while that of monkey is lower
- Monkeys rely on smell sense while apes on vision sense
- Monkeys feed on fruits, seeds, leaves, and insects while apes eat fruits, seeds, leaves, and small invertebrates
- Monkeys run on top of trees while apes swing from one branch to another
- Monkeys have long and flexible tail while apes do not have a tail
- Apes can straighten arms at the elbow fully while monkeys cannot straighten their arms
- Apes have stronger and flexible shoulders while monkeys have small and narrow shoulders
- Limbs of have monkeys have equal length while upper limbs of apes are longer than those of lower limbs
- Apes have a wider chest while monkeys have narrower chest
- Monkeys have a small body with a quadrupedal position while apes have a large body with upright posture.
- Monkeys have a smaller brain size while apes have a larger brain size
- The lifespan of monkeys is 30 years while that of apes is about 60 years
- Apes are found in Africa and South Asia while monkeys in Asia, Africa, Central, and South America.
- The number of monkey species is about 260 while apes are about 23
- Monkeys belong to both Platyrrhini and Catarrhini while apes belong to the parvorder Catarrhini.
- Monkeys are small primates with a long tail while apes are large primates without tails.
Read More: Difference between Alligator and Crocodile
Similarities between Monkey and Ape
- Both are primates
- Both are omnivores
- Both are large and have a complex brain size
- Both belong to the infraorder.
- Both have limbs
- Both have a flat face and smaller ears
- Both have dexterous fingers
- Have flexible limbs
- Both have short and dense hair except on face
- Both belong to the suborder Anthropoidea.
The core difference between monkeys and apes is that monkey has longer and flexible tail while ape has no tail. Both belong to primates though monkeys are smaller than apes.
Read More: Difference between Chipmunk and Gopher