What is the difference between concentration and density?
The concentration and density relationship tends to give students a difficult time when it comes to the revision of their exams in physical science.
The core difference between concentration and density is that concentration describes how much a substance is found in a mixture while density describes the mass of a material per unit volume.
What Is Concentration?
Concentration refers to the amount of a substance in a mixture or solution. Concentration can be grouped as mass concentration and molar concentration.
Mass concentration is the mass of a given compound in a unit volume. Molar concentration is the number of moles in a given compound in a unit volume.
What Is Density?
Density simply refers to mass per unit volume. The density of a substance helping to tell which substance is heavier than the other.
The floatation of a substance can easily be described by the concept of density. For instance, water in the Dead Sea is so dense hence someone can easily float on it.
Comparison Chart: Concentration Vs Density
|Meaning||It refers to how much of a substance is found in a mixture||It is the measure of mass per unit volume|
|Determining Factors||Depend on the amount of matter and the compound||Depend on the amount of matter within a given volume|
|Substance||Suitable for solutions||Suitable for all phases of matter|
|Nature of property||Homogenous property||Heterogeneous and homogenous property|
Core Differences between Density and Concentration
- Concentration represents how much of a substance is in a mixture or solution while density represent the mass per unit volume of a substance
- Concentration can be determined by the amount of matter and compound while density by mass per unit volume
- Concentration occurs in substance in solutions while density to all phases of matter
- Concentration has homogenous property while density has both heterogeneous and homogenous properties.
- The SI unit of concentration is mol/dm3 while that of density is kg/m3.
Read More: Difference between Static and Dynamic Equilibrium
The main difference between density and concentration is that density is the mass of material per unit volume while concentration is how much of a substance is present in a mixture.