What is the difference between allele and trait?
If you understand the difference between genotype and phenotype then you can easily distinguish between an allele and character trait.
The main difference between allele and trait is that allele refers to one or two forms of genes while trait refers to the physical characteristics of an individual.
The lesson provides detailed insight into the difference between alleles and traits with a comparison chart for easier understanding.
What Is Allele?
An allele refers to one of the two or more forms of genes. This implies that alleles occur in pairs. They are grouped as either homozygous alleles or heterozygous alleles.
Homozygous alleles are those that contain similar nucleotide sequences whereas heterozygous alleles are those that contain different nucleotide sequences.
What Is a Trait?
A trait refers to the physical characteristics of a particular individual. These physical features are also described as the phenotype of a person.
The phenotype of a person comprises observable structures, functions, and behavior. They are determined by epigenetic and environmental factors.
Comparison Chart: Allele Vs Trait
|Meaning||Typically refer to one of the two or more alternative forms of a gene||Refers to the physical characteristics of a particular individual|
|Correspondence||Alternative form a gene||The character of a person determined by allele|
|Location||In the same loci on the chromosomes||Physical character|
|Visibility||Tend to be visualized through testing||Tend to be visible in the naked eye|
|Occurrence||Occur in pairs||Occur individually|
|Influence of the Environment||Not influence||Highly influence|
|Variation||Genetic variation||Phenotypic variation|
|Source||A small segment of DNA||Biochemical reaction|
|Examples||IA, IB, and I are the alleles that determine the ABO blood groups of humans.||Humans have four blood types as A, B, AB, and O based on the combinations of three blood group alleles|
Core Difference Difference between Allele and Trait
- Allele refers to one of the two or more alternative forms of the gene whereas trait refers to the physical characteristics of an individual
- An allele is an alternative form of genes while trait is the character of a person determined by allele.
- An alternative name for allele is genotype while for a trait is a phenotype
- An allele is located on the same loci of the chromosomes while trait is the physical character
- The allele can be visualized through testing while trait can be visualized by naked eyes
- Allele occur in pairs whereas trait occur individually
- Traits are influenced by environmental factors while allele is not influenced at all
- Allele comprise of genetic variations while trait comprises of phenotypic variations
- Alleles are a small segment of DNA while trait is the biochemical reactions
- Examples of alleles are IA, IB, and I while of a trait is A, B, AB, and O blood group types.
Read More: Difference between Phenotype and Genotype
Similarities between Allele and Trait
- Both are related to the genes in the genome
- Both exhibit variation in the population
- Both are influenced by natural selection
- Both are led by evolution
The difference between allele and trait is the same as the difference between genotype and phenotype. However, both alleles and traits exhibit variation in a population.