What is the difference between triceratops and tyrannosaurus?
These are popular dinosaurs that lived in North America during the cretaceous period. They are seen in many cultural arts battling against each other and this makes them confusing.
The article provides detailed insight into the difference between triceratops and tyrannosaurus with a comparison table. Let’s find out:
What Is Triceratops?
Triceratops are dinosaur types that are herbivores with four limbs. The dinosaur has a length of 7.9 – 9 m and it belong to the kingdom Animalia.
The animal was first discovered in 1887 and it was mainly found in South Dakota. It also weighs about 6-12 tons.
What Is Tyrannosaurus?
Tyrannosaurus is dinosaur types that are carnivores with two limbs to enhance their normal movement. It weighs about 6-9 tons and has a length of about 12 m+.
The animal was first discovered in 1874 and it is quite common in the United States and Canada. It belongs to the kingdom of Animalia.
Comparison Chart: Triceratops vs Tyrannosaurus
|Year of Discovery||68 to 65.5 million years ago||67 to 65.5 million years ago|
|Length||7.9 – 9 m||Around 12 m+|
|Location||South Dakota||The United States and Canada|
|Weight||6 – 12 tons||6-9 tons|
|Lifespan||Not yet discovered||30 years|
|Period||Late Cretaceous Period||Late Cretaceous Period|
Core Differences between Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus
- The feeding mode of Triceratops is herbivores while that of Tyrannosaurus carnivores.
- The average length range of Triceratops is about 7.9 – 9 m while that of Tyrannosaurus is around 12 m.
- Rex weighs about 4.5 tonnes to 7.2 tonnes while Triceratops weighs around 6 – 12 tons.
- The family of Triceratops is Ceratopsidae while that of T. Rex is Tyrannosauridae.
- The order of Triceratops is Ornithischia whereas T. Rex belongs to Saurischia
- Triceratops are mostly found in South Dakota whereas Tyrannosaurus in the United States and Canada.
- Triceratops was discovered in 1887 while Tyrannosaurus in 1874
- The lifespan of Tyrannosaurus is about 30 years while that of Triceratops not yet discovered.
- The made mode of movement in Triceratops is Quadraped while that of Tyrannosaurus is bipedal.
- The suborder of Triceratops is Ceratopsia while that of Tyrannosaurus is Theropoda.
The core difference between Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus is that the triceratops belongs to the family of Ceratopsidae while Tyrannosaurus belongs to the family of Tyrannosauridae.