What is the difference between training and education?
Training and education are two terms that tend to confuse people. It is one of the reasons why many people normally use them interchangeably.
The main difference between training and education is that training is the technique of acquiring new skills and knowledge to perform certain duties whereas education is the process of learning in the classroom to deepen knowledge and mindset.
The lesson provides detailed insight into the difference between training and education in a tabular form for easier understanding.
What Is Training?
Training is the technique of acquiring new skills and knowledge to perform current duties more diligently.
The main aim of training employees is to impart them with job-related skills so that they can perform their work effectively and efficiently.
What Is Education?
Education refers to learning in a classroom to deepen knowledge and mindset in certain professions. The main aim of education is to deliver facts, values, beliefs, and general concepts.
The lesson learned during education help to equip an individual about future challenges in their level of the profession. It starts from kindergarten, elementary school, high school, undergraduate and post-graduate.
Comparison Chart: Training Vs Education
|Meaning||Refers to the process of imparting skills and knowledge in a person||This refers to theoretical learning in schools or institutions.|
|Focus on||Imparting knowledge and skills for development||The typical form of learning|
|Based on||Practical application||Theoretical application|
|Entails||Job experience||Classroom experience|
|Period||Short term||Long term|
|Purpose||Current job||Future job|
|Core objective||To improve performance and productivity||To develop a sense of reasoning and judgment|
|Teaches||Specific tasks||General concepts|
|Place of instructions||Vocational Institutions||Educational institutions|
Core Difference between Training and Education
- Training is the process of increasing skills and knowledge to an employee for better performance while education is the process of developing the mental faculties of people to grab certain concepts in their field of study.
- The nature of training is job oriented while that of education is career-oriented
- Training involves the practical application of skills whereas education involves the theoretical application
- Training teaches specific tasks whereas education teaches general tasks
- The place of training instruction is vocational institutions whereas education is educational institutions.
- The objective of the training is to improve performance and productivity while education is to develop a sense of reasoning and judgment
- The scope of training is narrower while that of education is wider
- Training is meant for one person whereas education for a large group of persons
- Training is dependent on educational knowledge whereas education is independent
- The term of training is short whereas that of education is long term
- Training prepare an individual for the current job whereas education prepares a person for the future job
- Training is easier to learn whereas education is harder to learn
- At the end of the training, the person is awarded a certificate or license whereas education is awarded the degree or graduate certificate
- The pedagogy of training is job experience while that of education is the classroom experience
Read More: Difference between Training and Development
The core difference between training and education is that training involves impartation of knowledge and skills to improve the performance whereas education is developing the mental faculties of people in certain fields of study.
More Sources and References
- Education and Vocational Aspect. Tandfonline
- Training Aspect. Wikipedia