What is the difference between training and development?
Training and development are key areas to consider when thinking about how to improve the performance of the employees in an organization. These two terms seem too similar but this is not the case here.
The main difference between training and development is that training is the technique of acquiring new skills and knowledge to perform specific duties whereas development refers to the overall growth of employees in performing current duties.
The lesson presents an excerpt from the difference between training and development with a comparison chart to drive the point home.
What Is Training?
Training refers to the program organized the company top management to equip employees with knowledge and skills in their job description.
This has become the norm of many organizations especially after recruiting new employees. The intention is to let them learn the policies, procedures, and rules of the organization.
Types of training employees include induction, vestibule, apprenticeship, job training, internship, and promotional training.
Benefits of Training of Employees
- Increases productivity both qualitatively and quantitatively
- Develop and improve the skills of employees
- Improve the performance
- Create a cooperative working environment
- Build confidence in the employees while performing their duties
- Reduces employee turnover
- Decrease the number of accidents
What Is Development?
Development refers to the overall growth of employees to perform current duties better and increase the potential for future higher assignments.
The main focus of development is imparting technical, human and conceptual skills. This can be achieved through coaching, job rotation, mentoring, counselling, conference training and case study.
Comparison Chart: Training Vs Development
|Meaning||The process of equipping employees with knowledge and skills to perform their duties||Refers to the overall growth of employees in terms of performing their current duties better|
|Length Period||Short term||Long term|
|Core Target||To help an employee improve their performance||To equip employees with skills for future challenges|
|Number of Individuals||Many||Only one|
|Depth of Knowledge||Related to a job only||All-round and long-lasting|
|Scope of Learning||Limited to job||Wider|
Core Difference between Training and Development
- Training refers to the process of equipping employees with knowledge and skills to perform their duties whereas development refers to the overall growth of employees in terms of current and future job performance
- Training tends to take short period whereas development take a comparatively longer period
- Training focuses on the present job description whereas development on the future
- The scope of learning in training is limited to the job while development tend to be wider
- The initiative of training is done by management while development by executive
- The depth of knowledge in training is limited to the job only while development is for all-round and long-lasting
- Training is normally done to a large group whereas development to an individual
- Development is designed to be a continuous process whereas training is meant for performing the existing duties better
- Training entails imparting technical skills while development involves imparting managerial skills
- Training is suitable for technical staff whereas development for managerial staff
- Development is career-oriented whereas training is job oriented
- The motivation of training is the trainer whereas development is self
- The goals of the training are short term whereas those of development is long term
- The content of development involve theoretical and philosophical education whereas training involves a technical and mechanical operation
- The aim of the training is to develop some specific skills in an individual whereas development is to develop the personality of an individual.
Read More: Difference between Training and Education
The core difference between training and development is that training help to equip an employee with knowledge and skills to perform their current job whereas development is the process of preparing an individual for the future challenge.
More Sources and References
- Employment Training and Management Development. Unboxed Technology
- Training and Management Training. UK Essay