What is the difference between Judaism and Christianity?
Judaism and Christianity tend to have similar origins. Things that set apart these Abrahamic religions are beliefs, practices, and teachings.
The main difference between Judaism and Christianity is that Judaism originates from the Levant whereas Christianity originates from the Roman province of Judea.
Read More: Difference between Lutherans and Catholics
Comparison Table (Judaism vs Christianity)
|Place of Origin||Levant||Roman province of Judea|
|Place of Worship||Synagogues and Western Wall of the Temple in Jerusalem||Church, chapel, cathedral, basilica, home bible study, personal dwellings|
|Practices||Pray three times a day with the fourth prayer on Shabbat and holidays.||Prayer sacrament, worship in church, communion, reading of the bible, and acts of charity|
|Life after death||Reincarnation||Eternity in heaven or hell|
|Use of Statues and Pictures||Not allowed||Common among Catholic and Orthodox|
|Means of Salvation||Through God and good deeds||Through Christ passion, death, and resurrection|
|Clergy||Rabbis, Cantors, Scribes, Mohels.||Bishop, ministers, monk, priest, and nuns|
|Founder||Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses||Lord Jesus Christ|
|Giving||Tzadaka||Tithing and giving to charities|
|Days of worship||Sundown Friday to sundown Saturday||Sunday|
|The war between Major Sects||Orthodox and Reform Jews with no violence||Protestants and Catholic|
|Purgatory||Believe in Judaism||Believed in by various denominations.|
|Trinity||God, people, and Israel||Father, Son, and the holy spirit|
|The virtue of the Religion||Justice, faithfulness, charity, modesty, Tikkun Olam, mitzvoth, Love of the creations. Ethics. Social Justice. Intellectual discussions, and study.||Love, charity, and mercy|
|Founders and Early Leaders||Abraham, Moses, David, and many Prophets.||Jesus, Peter, Paul, and the Apostles.|
What Is Judaism?
It is an Abrahamic religion of the Jewish people based on principles and ethics embodied in the Hebrew Bible. The founder of the religion was Abraham, Moses, David, and many prophets.
The religion originated from the Levant and the days of worship are sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. The place of worship is Synagogues and the Western Wall of the Temple in Jerusalem.
What Is Christianity?
It is a religion founded by Jesus Christ. The earliest leaders were Jesus, Peter, Paul, and the apostles. Christianity tends to comprise many denominations such as Protestants and Catholics.
The religion originated from the Roman province of Judea and churches are the main places of worship. Sunday is the main day of worship.
Read More: Difference between Buddhism and Taoism
Main Difference between Judaism and Christianity
- Christianity originated from the Roman province of Judea while Judaism originated from the Levant
- Place of worship for Christianity is churches and chapel while for Judaism is synagogues and Western Wall of the Temple.
- Judaism means of salvation is the belief in God and good deeds whereas Christianity is through Christ’s passion, death, and resurrection
- Judaism founders are Moses, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob whereas Christianity is the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The goal of Christianity is to love God and obey his commandments whereas Judaism is to celebrate life
- Christianity followers are Christian whereas Judaism followers are Jews.
- The scripture for Judaism is Tanakh and Torah while that of Christianity is the holy bible
- Branches of Christianity are Roman Catholics, independent Catholics, Protestants, and orthodox whereas those of Judaism are Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Renewal, and Reconstruction.
- The second coming of Jesus is affirmed by Christianity whereas denied by Judaism
- Christianity considers Jesus as the son of God whereas Judaism’s identity of Jesus is not part of the liturgy.
Similarities between Judaism and Christianity
- Both belief in God
- Both have holy bibles
- Both believe in the promise of the holy one
- Both belief in life after death
- Both practices prayers
Judaism vs Christianity FAQs
Who Is The Important Person In Judaism?
Abraham. He is regarded by Jews as the first Patriarch of the Jewish people.
What Are The Core Beliefs Of Judaism?
The three main beliefs at the center of Judaism are Monotheism, Identity, and covenant. The most important teachings of Judaism is that there is one God, who wants people to do what is just and compassionate.
Where Did Judaism Spread To First?
Judaism diffused mainly through relocation diffusion during the Jewish Diaspora.
How Do Jews Pray?
Jews are supposed to pray three times a day; morning, afternoon, and evening. The Jewish prayer book has special services set down for this. Praying regularly enables a person to get better at building their relationship with God.
Read More: Difference between Christians and Catholic
The core difference between Christianity and Judaism is based on the identification of Jesus. Christians believe Jesus is the son of God whereas Judaism believes that the identity of Jesus is not part of the liturgy.
More Sources and References