What is the difference between information and knowledge?
The mind of an individual tends to perceive things as information, data, knowledge, and wisdom. Information and knowledge are what is recorded in the brains.
The main difference between information and knowledge is that information is refined data whereas the knowledge is useful information
The article the difference between information and knowledge in a tabular form. The aim is easy for understanding. Let’s dive into the topic.
What Is Information?
Information refers to process data that has been given meaning through relational connection. Information informs and provides answers to many problems.
Accuracy, relevance, completeness, and availability are the key characteristics of information. It can be conveyed through message content, observation and obtained from various sources like a newspaper.
What Is Knowledge?
Knowledge refers to relevant and objective information gained through training and experience. The information tends to be useful and it helps to increase consciousness.
Knowledge occurs as a result of combining information, experience, and intuition. Knowledge helps to draw inferences and develop insights into certain topics.
Comparison Chart: Information Vs Knowledge
|Meaning||Refers to process data that has been given meaning.||Refers to relevant and objective information gained through experience.|
|Typical Meaning||Redefined data||Useful information|
|Comprise of||Data and context||Information, experience, and intuition|
|Processing||Improves representation||Increase consciousness|
|Reproduction||Can easily be reproduced||Cannot be reproduced|
|Cognitive and Analytical Ability||Only analytic need||Both needed|
|Final thought||All information need not be knowledge.||All knowledge is information.|
Core Difference between Information and Knowledge
- Information refers to process facts and data whereas knowledge refers to the infliction of understanding a subject.
- The information comprises context and data while knowledge comprises information, experience, and perceptions.
- All knowledge is information and all information is not knowledge
- Information can be reflected or replicate whereas knowledge cannot be reproduced.
- Knowledge is enough to make a prediction while information cannot be used to make the prediction.
- Information can be transfer into newspapers or journals whereas knowledge is difficult to be transferred.
- Information help to foster an understanding of facts and data while knowledge understanding of the subject.
- Cognitive and analytic ability is important to get knowledge whereas analytic ability is ideal to get information.
- Processing help to improve the representation and interpretation of information while it increases consciousness of a subject in knowledge
- Information typically refers to redefine data while knowledge refers to useful information.
Read More: Difference between Law and Ethics
The core difference between information and knowledge is that information refers to concepts of facts and data while knowledge refers to the infliction of understanding a subject or matter.
The key similarities between knowledge and information are that both are perceptions in the mind of an individual. Knowing the difference between information and knowledge management is quite important.
More Sources and References