What is the main difference between factors and multiples?
Mathematics is a game of numbers. It involves the study of numbers, types, and various concepts relating to it. Arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with properties and manipulation of numbers.
Factors and multiples are key terms mainly used in arithmetic. These terms confuse many students at the elementary level. The lesson provides detailed insight into the difference between factors and multiples in tabular form for easy understanding.
What Are Factors?
Factors are numbers that leave no remainder behind after being divided by a specific number. Factors tend to be finite.
For example, 4 is the only factor of 8 which when divided result into 2 without a remainder. Other factors of 8 are 1 and 2.
What Are Multiples?
Multiples are numbers obtained by multiplying a given number with another. Multiples tend to be infinite.
For example, 2 and four are multiples of 8 such as 2 by 4 is equal to 8. Besides that, a multiple is a number that can be divided given number exactly without a remainder.
Comparison Chart: Factors Vs Multiples
|Meaning||Refers to the exact divisor of a given number||Refers to the number obtained by multiplying a given number to another|
|What is it?||Numbers that can be multiplied to get another||The product obtained after multiplying some numbers|
|Number of factors/multiples||Finite||Infinite|
|Outcome||Less than or equal to the given number||Greater than or equal to the given number|
Core Differences between Factors and Multiples
- The operation used to obtain factor is division while multiple is multiplication.
- The outcome of factors is less than or equal to a particular number while multiples are greater than or equal to a particular number.
- The number of factors is finite while that of multiple is infinite
- Factors are numbers that can be multiplied with specific numbers to give another number while multiples are the product obtain after multiplying particular integers.
- Factors are described as the exact divisor of a given number while multiples are obtained by multiplying given numbers.
You May Also Like:
- Difference between Length and Height
- Difference between Area and Perimeter
- Difference between Expression and Equation
- Difference between Assessment and Evaluation
Multiples are multiplier of factors. On the other hand, factors are divisors of given numbers which result from no remainder after division. Understanding the difference between factors and multiples can help to teach math lessons in grade two.
More Sources and References
- Factors and Multiples. Math School
- Factors and Multiples. Maths Mutt School