What is the difference between F1 and F2 generation?
Genetics is the study of gene inheritance. It is was first discovered by Gregor Mendel. The topic provides crucial information as far as inheritance and variation is a concern.
The main difference between F1 and F2 generation is that F1 generation occurs by breeding two parental organisms while F2 generation occurs by interbreeding two F1 generation organisms.
Comparison Table (F1 Generation vs F2 Generation)
|It is the first filial generation of the offspring from two parental organisms
|It is the second filial generation of offspring obtained through interbreeding of the F1 individuals.
|Two organisms that are identically hybrid for two traits
|Individuals of the F1 generation
|Genetic Make-Up of Parents Similarity
|Tend to be dissimilar
|Tend to be quite similar
|Genetics of Parents
|Homozygous dominant for both traits or homozygous recessive for one parent
|Heterozygous for both traits
|YR and yr
|Yr, YR, yR, and yr
|Show single genotype which is heterozygous for both traits (RrYy)
|Shows RRYY 1:RRYy 2:RRyy 1:RrYY 2:RrYy 4:Rryy 2:rrYY 1:rrYy 2:rryy 1
|The single phenotype for the dominant trait for both
|Shows a phenotypic ratio 9:3:3:1
|Parental phenotype similarity
|Tend to be quite different
|Exhibit similar phenotype
|Effect to the Vigor
|Enhance hybridization to provide the best traits
|Suitable for inbreeding to obtain stable traits over a generation
What is an F1 Generation?
It is the first filial generation of the dihybrid cross. A dihybrid cross is the combination of two independent traits.
The genetic make-up of the parents is quite different. The genotype of the parental organism can either be in the dominant form of recessive form. The F1 generation shows a heterozygous genotype.
The genetic cross tends to result in increased vigor and variation of two groups of organisms. However, this tends to reduce the fitness of the environment.
What Is an F2 Generation?
It is the second filial generation of the dihybrid cross. The offspring produced come from the F1 generation parents.
The genetic make-up of the parents results in offspring with one dominant and one recessive trait. The crossing help to increase the homozygosity of the offspring.
Main Difference between F1 and F2 Generation
- The F1 generation is the first filial generation of offspring from parents while F2 generation is the second filial generation of the offspring produced by F1 generation.
- The F1 generation is as a result of outbreeding while F2 generation as a result of inbreeding
- F1 generation tend to increase the vigor while F2 generation tend to decrease the vigor
- F1 generation tend to increase hybridization while F2 generation maintain stable traits for a generation
- F1 generation exhibit different phenotypes while F2 generation exhibit similar phenotypes
- The genotype of F1 generation parents can be homozygous dominant for both or the second be homozygous recessive while F2 generation parents have heterozygous traits for both
- F1 generation have dissimilar genetic make-up while F2 generation have a similar genetic makeup
You May Also Like:
- Difference between Allele and Trait
- Difference between Gene and Allele
- Difference between Genotype and Phenotype
- Difference between Homozygous and Heterozygous
Similarities between F1 and F2 Generation
- Both generations occur as a result of a dihybrid cross
- Both dihybrid cross is identically hybrid for both traits
- Both result in the inheritance of two traits
- Both describe the Law of Independent Assortment.
F1 Generation Vs F2 Generation FAQs
What Is F1 and F2 In A Punnett Square?
It is represented by letter N. It implies that they are haploid which contains half the chromosomes. Parental generation is the first one in a genetic cross.
The F1 generation is the first filial generation of the parents. The F2 generation is the second filial generation of F1 individuals.
What Is Mendel’s F2 Generation?
Mendel observed that plants in the F1 generation were all alike. All of them had yellow round seeds like one of the two parents.
When the F1 generation plants were self-pollinated, the F2 generation—showed all possible combinations of the two characteristics.
What Is P Generation, F1, and F2 Generation?
The parental generation (P) is the first set of parents crossed. The F1 (first filial) generation consists of all the offspring from the parents. The F2 (second filial) generation consists of the offspring from allowing the F1 individuals to interbreed
What Is P Generation?
The P generation is the start of Mendel’s work on inheritance or receiving genetic qualities by transmission from parent to offspring. Basically it refers to traits or genes that are passed from a parental generation to its offspring.
P generation is the first set of parents during the cross over. The F1 generation is the first filial generation that comprises of all offspring from the parents. The F2 generation is the second filial generation produced by F1 generation individuals.
More Sources and References
Comprehensive Guide for F1 and F2 Generation. Scholar Library
F1 Generation. Biology Dictionary