What is the main difference between Catholic bible and protestant bible? The old testament of the Catholic bible has 46 books while protestant bible has 39books. Catholic church refers to the extra seven books as deuterocanonical books. Examples are obit, Judith, Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus / Sirach / Ben Sira, 1–2 Maccabees, and Baruch.
But both catholic and protestant churches claim the bible as their canon or authority of faith and morals. Is the catholic bible accurate? This question puzzle many Christian believers and it is the reason behind some wants to know the difference between these bibles.
We decided to interview John D. MEADE who is a Professor of Old Testament and Codirector of the Text & Canon Institute at Phoenix Seminary. Our aim was to find out more about the difference between protestant bible and catholic bible. Here are our findings:
Difference Between Catholic Bible and Protestant Bible
|Basic Terms||Catholic Bible||Protestant Bible|
|Roots and Origin||It contains the stories and teachings of Jesus Christ.||It is a revised Christian Bible produced by protestants and Martin Luther (German Priest).|
|Number of books||It has 46 books in the old testament and 27 books in the new testament.||It has 39books in the old testament and 27 books in the new testament.|
|Head of church||Pope is the head of the church and also heads the Vatican city.||They believe that Jesus is the head of the church.|
|Eucharist||They emphasize that the bread and drink used during the mass become the body and blood of Christ himself.||It is called Lord’s supper and it commemorates the death of Christ and the bread and wine represent the body and blood of Christ.|
|Prayer||They pray to holy men who passed away in addition to the worship of Christ.||They emphasize the freedom and possibility of humans having direct access and connection with God.|
What is a Catholic Bible?
A catholic bible has 46books in the old testament and 27 books in the new testament. This bible came into existence to tell the stories and teachings of Jesus Christ who lived in the 1st century.
The Roman Catholic bible is published by the Catholic Canon law. The catholic bible has remain unchanged despite Martin Luther (German Priest and Theologian) carried out the bible reformation.
Some of the extra books in the old testament of a catholic bible are Baruch, Judith, Sirach, stories of Susanna, Tobit, stories of Bel and the Dragon, etc. During the late fourth century, these books were formulated and compiled.
The catholic bible is referred to as the Vulgate since it is published in accordance with the catholic canon law. The vulgate is now officially in Latin language and used all over the world.
What is a Protestant Bible?
A protestant bible has 39books in the old testament and 27books in the new testament. It came into existent after the reformation which was led by Martin Luther (German Priest and Theologian) and other protestants in 1517.
Protestant bible is a revised version of Christian bible. The bible version excluded the canonical ones considered significant.
Some Protestant Bibles contain Apocrypha books. Many English-speaking Protestants came to an agreement to include the Apocrypha books in the bible but to put them in a separate section of the Old Testament.
Main Difference between Catholic and Protestant Bible
- The Catholic bible came into existence and was practiced with the teachings of Jesus Christ who lived in the 1st century while the Protestant bible came into existence after reformation led by Martin Luther.
- Catholic bible contains 46books in the Old Testament while the Protestant Bible contains 39 books in the Old Testament.
- The Catholic bible considers the pope as the head of the church while the Protestant bible considers Jesus as the head of the church.
- Catholic bible emphasis praying to holy men who passed away in addition to the worship of Christ while the Protestant bible emphasis on freedom and the possibility of humans having direct access and connection with God.
Similarities between Catholic and Protestant Bible
- They both have 27 books in the New Testament.
- Both emphasize on body and blood of Jesus Christ.
- Both contain Hebrew Scriptures.
Catholic bible and Protestant bible have the same roots of origin. They are both written in Hebrew and some of the books are similar in both bibles. The main difference between the Catholic bible and Protestant bible is that the Catholic bible contains 46books in the Old Testament including the cannon books while the Protestant Bible contains 39 books in the Old Testament.
People Who Read This Also Read:
- Difference Between Anglican and Catholic.
- Difference Between Episcopalian and Catholic.
- Difference Between Apostle and Disciple.
- Difference between Apostle Creed and Nicene Creed